Just when we thought we’d finally landed our Varsity dream signing…a hijack attempt from Saudi Arabia.
August 6, 2023 | by bookmeforphotographers.com
Barcelona could be on the verge of losing a longtime signing.
“An unnamed Saudi Arabian club has made an attractive offer for the signing of Joao Cancelo, a known Barcelona target,” Spanish outlet Football España reported on Saturday.
Kancelu joined Bayern Munich from Manchester City on loan in January. After clashing with Pep Guardiola over playing time, he was forced to leave the club.
It wasn’t much better in Munich. Kancelu scored one goal and provided six assists in 20 games on loan, but it wasn’t enough to convince the Bavarians to make the move permanent.
It’s not as if he’s likely to play for City again. Guardiola has ruled him out of his plans for next season. City are also looking for a club to take him. 메이저사이트
One club that has made an offer is Barcelona. The Catalans are looking to strengthen their right fullback position, which was a weakness throughout last season.
This isn’t the first time Barcelona have shown interest in Kancelu. The Catalan giants were also reportedly pushing for his signature when he left his loan spell at Munich in January.
Coach Xavi Hernandez had a lot to do with that. Xavi is said to have been persistent in his demands to sign Kancelu, despite the concerns of the club’s hierarchy.
This summer, the dream could come true. Barcelona were set to use the transfer fee revenue from the sale of Ousmane Dembele to sign Kancelu.
Suddenly, there was an interruption. According to reports, an unnamed Saudi Arabian club has hijacked Kancelu with a better offer.
A surprise move to Saudi Arabia can’t be ruled out. “Kancelu still wants to go to Barcelona, but he is swayed by the lack of official offers so far,” the outlet said.
Money is also expected to play a role. Kancelu would have to take a pay cut if he joined Barcelona. On the other hand, if he heads to Saudi Arabia, he can expect a massive pay rise.